Starfish: A Haiku

StarfishSmall

Here is a photo I took last week of a starfish washed up on Tennessee Beach just after high tide here in Marin County, California. After spending a few moments admiring its shape, solidity, color, and texture, I tossed it back into the ocean, wishing life and renewal for us both.

Below is a haiku inspired by the photo. Please feel free to share any haiku that comes to you as you sit with the photo. (A traditional haiku is 3 lines: 5 syllables, 7 syllables and 5 syllables.)

Fallen from the sea,

A starfish rhumbas across

sand, yearning for home.

P.S. Join us on Saturday, December 1 for a day retreat in which we will focus on the following question: “What is the divine to me now, how has that changed and how is this meaningful to my life today?” For more information and to register, visit the Classes page.

This entry was posted in Haikus, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Starfish: A Haiku

1. David Livingston Styers says:

Purple star of sea
    Reminds me of the other
    Star coming advent

2. Stephanie says:

Thanks Scott. Awesome photo and great pondering! Abundant blessings for your Thanksgiving.

Ashore, left to dry,
    burped from the mellifluous sea.
    Sun bathes, son showers home.

• scott says:

Thank you Stephanie. I haven’t used or seen “mellifluous” in a very long time. Lovely! Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Cheryl Driscoll says:

Five arms reaching out
    Embracing the sea, the sky.
    The tide recedes with a sigh.

• scott says:

Beautiful Cheryl! I love the embrace of the five arms and the tide receding with a sigh. Thank you for your creative gift that you shared. Peace and blessings, Scott

4. Yumiko says:

This is fun to do, Scott.
    I enjoyed my time with it.
    Thanks for the opportunity.

feeling the tide move
    holding duality within
    dancing universe

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
    I am sure you are going to have GREAT food.
    Nice seeing and spending time with you the other day.
    Yumiko

• scott says:

Thank you Yumiko. I’m so glad you enjoyed it, and I really liked your haiku…especially the “dancing universe”. I enjoyed seeing you too, and am already grateful for the wonderful food to come. Happy Thanksgiving! Scott

5. Hi Scott, we will be in a Visioning retreat for the Eremos Board Members on December 1st so I will be with you in the heart of God.

• scott says:

Thank you Jean. Bless you and your upcoming Visioning Retreat for Eremos. I hear there’s an Irish cook preparing for Thursday. Happy Thanksgiving! Scott